ResNet recommends connecting your console using a wired internet connection through a router. The wired connection is more reliable and can be up to 20X faster than the wireless connection. Using a router also allows you to connect multiple devices to the wired port at the same time, without having to re-register. For more information on how to setup a router with the Georgia Tech network, see our router setup page.
Wired Configuration for Microsoft Xbox 360
If you will be connecting more than one device to the wired port in your room, you will need to use a router. If you need help setting up your router, check out our router setup tutorial. Once your router is set up, simply connect your Xbox directly to one of the ports on the router and you should be good to go.
If you want to connect your Xbox 360 directly to the wired port in your room, you can do so without a router.
- Connect your Xbox 360 to the port in your room with an ethernet cable.
- Turn on your Xbox and go to the dashboard.
- Navigate to System Settings, then to Network Settings.
- Select Configure Network.
- Select Wired Connection with an automatic configuration and test the connection. It should fail at this point, but this step lets our switch see your Xbox.
- Return to the Configure Network menu.
- Scroll right to the Additional Settings tab.
- Scroll down and select the box containing Advanced Settings, Host Name, and Alternate Mac Address.
- At the bottom of the screen, just above the Done button, you should see Wired MAC Address, followed by a series of 12 letters and numbers. Write this series down.
- Using a computer or any device with a web browser, navigate to start.gatech.edu. Sign in with your GT account.
- Press Register a Different Device.
- Read the information on this page. Then, in the MAC Address box, type in what you wrote down in step 9.
- Select whether you live in a Residence Hall or Greek House.
- Finally, enter a brief description of the Xbox, like "My Xbox."
- If you understand the terms of registration, and accept responsibility for your device, select I Accept Responsibility for This Device.
- Turn off your Xbox and wait five minutes before turning it on again.
If you are having problems, you may want to visit Microsoft's support site for router port configuration for more information. If you are still having problems, please contact us!
LAWN Configuration for Microsoft Xbox 360
You should now be able to connect to the internet and Xbox Live.
- If you have a new Xbox 360, it should have wireless support built-in. If you have an older Xbox 360, you will need to purchase a wireless adapter. For more information, go to Microsoft's Wireless Adapter product page.
- Owners of both old and new Xboxes need to write down their console's internal MAC address, which can be found at [System] -> [Network Settings] -> [Edit Settings] -> [Additional Settings] -> [Advanced Settings], at the bottom of the page, under 'Wired MAC Address.' Do not use the 'Wireless MAC address' - this will not work.
- Navigate back to [Edit Settings], go to [Wireless Mode], and select 'GTother' from the list of internet connections.
- Enter the security key, and select the WPA option. If you do not have the WPA key, you may get from the LAWN SSID and WPA key webpage.
- Run the connection test. It should fail, but that's okay.
- On your personal computer, navigate to the LAWN Device Login page. Fill in your GT account, password, and the MAC address that you wrote down earlier, and check the 'disable ISS' check box (Allows you to play online). Note that you will need to log in by this method every time you want to log on to the internet through wireless.