Wired Configuration for Sony Playstation 3
Note that the ethernet and telephone ports look identical. The ethernet port is the yellow jack, usually the bottom or right jack.
If you want to connect more than one device to the wired network, purchase a router. If you need help setting up your router, see this tutorial page Router Setup. Once your router is properly configured, do the following:
- On the main menu, go to [Settings], then to [Network Settings], and then to [Internet Settings].
- Select 'Easy'.
- Choose 'Wired Connection'.
- Choose the easy setup option.
- Run the connection test. If it passes, you are good to go. If it does not, your router is improperly configured.
If you want to connect your PS3 directly to the wired port, do the following:
Wireless Configuration for Sony Playstation 3
NOTE! Of late, many PS3's are unable to connect to GTother for reasons that are yet, unknown. Fortunately, there are ways to fix this problem. Please make sure the following 2 points are completed before proceeding with the actual list.
- Connect the PS3 to the port in your room with an ethernet cable, then turn it on.
- Go to [Settings], then [Network Settings], then [Internet Connection Settings].
- Select 'Easy'.
- If asked to choose between wired and wireless, choose 'Wired Connection'.
- If asked about your 'Proxy settings', select 'Do Not Use.'
- Your settings will be displayed. The second entry in the list should say "Connection Method: Wired Connection."
- Press X to confirm your settings.
- When asked to Test the connection, press the Circle button to head back to the main menu instead of testing.
- Open your Internet Browser by navigating to 'Network', then 'Internet Browser.'
- Press the Start button, delete any internet address that may be in the box, and type in http://start.gatech.edu/ , then press the start button again.
- Sign in to the Start page with your GT username and password, then click 'Log In.'
- Click 'Register This Device.'
- Select whether you live in a Residence hall or Greek Housing, and enter a brief description of this device (i.e. John's PS3)
- Read over the contents of the page, then click I Accept if you accept.
- Turn off your PS3 for five minutes. Once you turn it back on, it should be good to go.
- Update your Playstation with the latest system update. This can either be done by connecting your Playstation to the wired LAN (instructions above) or by downloading the update on to a USB stick, which can then be plugged into your Playstation
- Go to [Settings] > [Network Settings] and disable Media Server Connection.
Then follow these instructions:
- On the main menu, go to [Settings] > [Network Settings] > [Internet Settings].
- Select 'Easy'
- Choose 'Wireless Connection'
- Select 'Scan'
- Choose 'GTother' from the list of wireless networks. GTwifi is not supported by Playstation.
- Confirm the name and press the right button.
- Choose 'WPA' security and press the right button.
- Enter the security key. What is it?.
- Confirm the settings and press 'X'
- Run the mandatory connection test. It will fail, but this is expected.
- Open your console's browser. you should automatically be re-directed to the LAWN Login Page. Go ahead and login.
You should now be able to connect to the internet. Note that you will have to login through the web browser everytime you want to connect to the internet, unless you have the "remember me" option set.